GISTDA CEOS Chair 2023 : “Space Technology for Better Environments, Economies, and Humanity ”
The 2022 Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) Plenary was held from November 29 to December 1, 2022 in Biarritz, France. During the event, the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) was honored to officially become the CEOS Chair for 2023. GISTDA aims to utilize satellite data for observing and measuring the earth in order to support the transition to a net zero society and generate opportunities for the new space economy.
As for this great opportunity, GISTDA aims to utilize space technology to improve the environment, economy, and well-being of humanity through the use of satellite data for earth observation and measurement. This work aligns with the CEOS’s mission of promoting international cooperation in the peaceful use of earth observation satellite systems and data.
the 2022 CEOS Plenary in Biarritz
Under the theme of “Space Technology for Better Environments, Economies, and Humanity.” GISTDA aims to increase its impact through the following initiatives:
- Supporting CEOS Preparations and Inputs to the Global Stock Take of the UNFCCC Paris Agreement
- GISTDA, in collaboration with USGS, plans to hold the SilvaCarbon workshop in Thailand under the CEOS brand.
- Continued expansion of the offering of CEOS Agency datasets available to support the GST and countries’ assessments of their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs).
- Support the implementation of both the GHG Roadmap and the AFOLU Roadmap.
- Supporting the SIT Chair’s Exploration of New Geometries for Space Agencies and CEOS with New Space Communities
- Work with CEOS New Space Task team led by SIT Chair to develop New Space Economy document as a means for knowledge sharing with CEOS Agencies.
- Facilitate a discussion about New Space Economy during CEOS 2023 timeframe
We, the CEOS Chair Team at GISTDA, would like to extend our sincere appreciation to the esteemed members of the CEOS community for entrusting us with the privilege of serving as Chair for the year 2023. We are deeply honored by this opportunity and are committed to utilizing our position to the fullest extent in order to benefit and advance the interests of all CEOS Agencies. Furthermore, we believe that these themes and priorities will provide a comprehensive and cohesive platform for all CEOS Agencies to contribute and benefit from, and we look forward to collaborating with each and every one of you as we move forward.
Once again, we would like to express our gratitude to the CEOS community for this opportunity and we look forward to working with all of you to achieve our shared goals and objectives.
“GISTDA is excited to announce the launch of THEOS-2, its second Thailand Earth observation satellite, scheduled in 2023. THEOS-2 is expected to provide a range of benefits to society through its ability to monitor the Earth’s surface, oceans, and atmosphere with high resolution. We hope that THEOS-2 will be a valuable resource for Thailand to make a better future for all.”
Pakorn Apaphant, Ph.D.
2023 CEOS Chair
Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA)